It was originally a villa founded in 1514 by Don Diego Velázquez under the name of San Cristobal de La Habana in a lowland and unhealthy place on the southern coast, which forced its transfer through different territories until 1519 when it was settled in the vicinity of Puerto de Carenas.
Due to its economic and strategic geographical location as a fleet gathering port, from the 16th century until the 19th century, Spain developed here the most complex and powerful defensive system in America, turning it into a walled city.
As the cultural capital of the country, Havana, shows a diverse and attractive range of artistic manifestations that validate its selection in 2016 as Wonder City.
Capital: La Habana, Capital of Cuba
Extension: 721, 01 sq. km
Municipalities: Arroyo Naranjo, Boyeros, Centro Habana, Cerro, Cotorro, Diez de Octubre, Guanabacoa, Habana del Este, Habana Vieja, La Lisa, Marianao, Playa, Plaza de la Revolución, Regla and San Miguel del Padrón
Demonym: habanero/a
Limits: It limits to the north with the Florida Straits, to the east with the province of Mayabeque, to the south with the provinces of Mayabeque and Artemisa, and to the west with the province of Artemisa.
Access: Mainly by air. It has three air terminals for international services and one national. It also has multiple accesses by sea such as the Hemingway and Tarará Marinas, as well as the Cruise Terminal on the Bay of Havana. Havana connects with the rest of the provinces by the National Highway, the Central Road, the Via Blanca and the national railroad network.

Places of interest
Historical Center of Old Havana and its System of Fortifications
Declared by UNESCO as World Heritage Site in 1982, its restoration and conservation has been the main endeavor of the City´s Historian Office. Since its inception, Havana has focused its main axes of social, cultural, religious and military life around five squares that make up the main tourist and cultural attractions of the Historic Center.
 Plaza de Armas
As founding site of the Villa de San Cristobal de La Habana since 1559, it was the hub for political, military, religious and civil service functions. In 1589, it took on its present appearance, being surrounded by the most important public buildings of the Villa.
 El Templete
Baratillo and O’Reilly
Opened on March 19, 1828, it commemorates the founding celebrations of the Villa de San Cristóbal de La Habana. It was built according to the plans drawn by Don Antonio Maria de la Torre and reproduces, on a small scale, a Greco-Roman temple of neoclassical style. The Obispo de Espada (Bishop Espada) solemnized the opening ceremony, and the French painter Jean Batiste de Vermay portrayed the attendants on a large canvas that is preserved in the premises, along with two others that recreate the first mass and the first chapter. In its garden there is a ceiba tree that commemorates the specimen that was witness to the foundation of the city, and the Columna Cajigal, a (column) reminder of the site where the first ceiba tree was.
  Castillo de la Real Fuerza. Museo Naval
2 O’Reilly ,Tel. 07 864 4488
Its construction started in 1558 and was concluded in 1577. It is the oldest of all the fortifications of the city and is considered a jewel of the Renaissance architecture in Cuba. With walls 6 m wide and 10 m high, it forms a square with triangular bulwarks. It is surrounded by a flooded moat and its only access route is through a drawbridge. It was the official residence of the Capitanes Generales (General Captains) until 1762.
Currently, the castle hosts the Museo Naval, which exhibits the results of underwater research conducted in wrecks from different times of history. The main attraction of the museum is the interactive model of the Santísima Trinidad galleon, built in Havana between 1767 and 1770 and destroyed in the Battle of Trafalgar.
La Fuerza has, among its attributes, the Giraldilla de La
Habana, a vane carved in bronze by Havana artist Jerónimo Martín Pinzón, which was placed in the northwestern tower of the fort during the term of office of Governor Juan Vitrián de Viamonte, between 1630 and 1634, in honor of Isabel de Bobadilla. Turned into the symbol of the city, the one that is observed today in the tower is a replica of the original one exhibited in the castle.
 Palacio del Segundo Cabo
14 O’Reilly, Tel. 07 862 8091
An austere building of eclectic style, it dates from 1770 when it was designated as the post office of the city. Later it had several functions like the residence of the Deputy Governor General of the Island, and after the independence it was the seat of the Senate. At present, it hosts the Interpretation Center for the relations between Cuba and the European Union.
 Palacio de los Capitanes Generales (Palace of the General Captains) and Museo de la Ciudad (the City´s Museum)
1 Tacón between Obispo and O’Reilly streets, Tel. 07 862 8091
Concluded in 1791, it was the residence of 65 General Captains (the city governor) between 1791 and 1898, the residence of the US governors during the occupation between 1898 and 1902, the first seat of the Cuban Government between 1902 and 1920, and between 1920 and 1967 the headquarters of the Mayor’s Office of Havana.
The building has a large portal with an Ionian colonnade. On its front is Calle de Madera, whose cobblestones were replaced by wooden paving stones, so that the noise did not disturb the occupants of the building. The three-story structure surrounds an imposing central courtyard, which contains a sculpture of Christopher Columbus by Italian sculptor Cucchiari.
It currently houses the Museo de la Ciudad (the City Museum.) Its rooms illustrate different moments in the history of the island, such as the Sala de las Banderas, which houses the first flags of the Republic and relics of the independence heroes. The visitor may tour rooms dedicated to archeology, collections of weapons and the office of Dr. Emilio Roig de Leushering, the First City´s Historian.
Tacón street
 Former Seminario de San Carlos y San Ambrosio and now Centro Cultural Padre Félix Varela
Tacón between Chacón and Empedrado streets,Tel. 07 862 8790
It was established by the Jesuits in 1721 and since then it has become one of the main centers of Cuban Enlightenment, recognized as an academy training the great minds of national patriotic thought such as Félix Varela and Jose de la Luz y Caballero. Currently, it is the site of Centro Cultural Padre Félix Varela, where various religious and lay activities take place.
Cortina de Valdés
Located just at the entrance of the seminary, it shows an archaeological excavation that exposed the foundations of the sea wall, as well as several pieces of heavy artillery that were located there.
 Plaza de la Catedral
It was named “Plazuela de la Ciénaga,” on its beginning on account of the marshy terrain with underground springs in which it was located. In 1587, a well was built on its center, but it was not until the next century that the area was drained. Its present aspect dates from the 18th century, the moment when some houses started to be built around like the one belonging to Luis Chacón, the first Cuban that ruled the Island at the beginning of the 18th century. At the turn of the century, the church built by the Jesuits in the area was exalted to the condition of Cathedral, which led to being named as Plaza de la Catedral in 1793. Today, it is one of the most visited places in the capital.
 Catedral de San Cristóbal de La Habana
156 Empedrado, Tel. 07 861 7771
Located north of the plaza, it is commonly known as the “Catedral de Colón” (Cathedral of Columbus.) Its construction was initiated by the Jesuits in 1748, and after the expulsion of this order in 1767 by King Charles III, in 1773 the Parroquial Mayor (Major Parochial School) was transferred to this place. The temple was completely finished in 1777 and in 1793 it was designated Cathedral by royal decree.
In 1814, the Obispo de Espada ordered to modify the baroque interior of the Cathedral, which thus took its neoclassical appearance today. For the making of the original frescoes, the Italian artist Giuseppe Perovani was hired, but they were later restored and renovated by Jean Baptista de Vermay.
Christopher Columbus´s mortal remains were there from 1796 to 1898, transferred to Havana from Santo Domingo, and later taken to Spain. The temple keeps the main image of San Cristóbal, the patron saint of the town and protector of travelers that dates from 1633.
 The Bodeguita del Medio
207 Empedrado between San Ignacio and Cuba streets,
Tel. 07 867 1374
It is an old cellar that belonged to the Spanish immigrant Ángel Martínez. It is said that a visit to Havana is not complete if you do not visit this place. It has a bar at the front and a restaurant at the back, where many visitors may taste the drink of the house: the mojito.
Its walls are adorned with paintings and posters from past decades, as well as the signatures and messages that its visitors leave as reminders of their stay. Among the most famous messages is one attributed to the American writer Ernest Hemingway “Mi mojito en la Bodeguita, mi daiquirí en el Floridita” (“My mojito at the Bodeguita, my daiquirí at the Floridita.”)
Callejón del Chorro
It is a small alley where the formerly Zanja Real (Royal Ditch) ended: the first aqueduct built in the sixteenth century, which provided drinking water to the city. Currently, there are numerous restaurants and galleries.
Taller Experimental de Gráfica
Callejón del Chorro,
Tel. 07 864 7622
It is a center of development and teaching of different techniques of engraving, where you can see the artists working and purchase excellent pieces of renowned Cuban artists.
 Casa del Conde de Bayona, Museo de Arte Colonial (Museum of Colonial Art)
61 San Ignacio, Tel. 07 862 6440
A perfect example of Havana merchants’ dwellings, it was built around 1720 by General Captain Don Luis Chacón. In the 30’s of the last century it hosted the Havana Club Bar, mentioned in Graham Greene’s novel “Nuestro Hombre en La Habana”. It is currently occupied by the Museum of Colonial Art, which recreates the interior atmosphere of a colonial aristocratic house.
 Casa del Marqués de Arcos
Mercaderes between O’Reilly and Empedrado streets
Tel. 07 801 7190
From the square you can see the back of the house whose entrance is located on Mercaderes street. Currently, It is a cultural center that houses a literary cafe, the Ada Elba Pérez Specialized Library, the Casa de la Poesía, the Liceo Artístico Literario de La Habana, a goldsmith’s workshop and several shops and galleries.
Reproducing the facade of this building, just in front of it, is the Mural de los Intelectuales, painted by Cuban artist Andrés Carrillo, which represents the most outstanding figures of arts who studied at the Liceo Artístico Literario de La Habana, which was based in this building.
Palacio de Lombillo
Empedrado and Mercaderes streets, Tel. 07 860 4311
Built in 1741, it follows the pattern of the houses of slave traders. From 1821, it housed a small post office, the first of the country. Currently, the building displays historical lithographs and has several exhibition halls.
Both buildings on one side of the square, the Casa del Marqués de Arcos and the Palacio de Lombillo, are preceded by a large portico, which has a mailbox placed on the wall with a mask of Greek tragedy whose mouth served to deposit the letters, and a life-size statue of the Spanish dancer Antonio Gades.
 Calle Mercaderes
Edificio Santo Domingo
A contemporary building built as a mirror that reflects the surroundings of the block in which it is located: Obispo, Mercaderes, O’Reilly and San Ignacio streets.
It occupies the old site of Convent of Santo Domingo belonging to the Order of the Dominican Fathers, and seat of the first university of the Island founded on January 5, 1728. The building maintains the original facade as well as a replica of the bellfry. Its main lecture hall keeps the first coat of arms that this institution had.
At present, it is the headquarters of the Academia Cubana de la Lengua (the Cuban Academy of Language,) and of the Archivo Histórico de la Oficina del Historiador de la Ciudad (the Historical Archive of the City´s Historian Office.) Also headquartered here are Biblioteca Histórica (Historical Library,) of the San Gerónimo de La Habana University, the Gabinete de Música Antigua Esteban Salas (“Esteban Salas” Ancient Music Office,) the Conjunto de Música Antigua Ars Longa (Ars Longa Ancient Music Ensemble,) the Museo de la Universidad (University Museum) and several restoration workshops.
Hotel Ambos Mundos
153 Obispo and Mercaderes,
Tel. 07 860 9530
A building built between the 20´s and 30´s of last century, it was the regular resting place of American writer Ernest Hemingway, who made room 511 his own. This room is today a small museum that keeps the original furniture and some objects of the writer brought from his residence at Finca Vigía.
 Museo del Tabaco y Casa del Habano
120 Mercaderes between Obispo and Obrapía streets,
Tel. 07 861 5795
It shows the history of the development of the tobacco industry on the island and its main brands. At its shop, you may buy copies of the best vitolas and brands of Habanos.
Habana 1791
156 Mercaderes and Obrapía streets, Tel. 07 861 3525
It is a factory of handmade perfumes where you can buy made-to-order fragrances, as well as appreciate utensils used in the manufacturing of perfumes during the past centuries.
 Museo del Chocolate
Mercaderes and Amargura streets, Tel 07 866 4431
It is the corner of the Cruz Verde: the first stop of the procession of the Way of the Cross during colonial times. At present, the building there houses the Museo del Chocolate (the Chocolate Museum,) which exhibits objects related to the development of the cocoa industries and chocolatiers in the world.
 Plaza Vieja
It was the last of the main squares built in the city. It was built for purely commercial purposes and was established at the end of the seventeenth century with the name of “Plaza Nueva.” Around the 19th century it lost this denomination to be renamed as Plaza Vieja.
It is the only square of the city that does not have a church, because here was located the slave market. Today it has food businesses, sites of historical, social, commercial and artistic interest. It has been recently recommended by Trip Advisor as one of the best places to visit in Havana. The process of restoration to which it has been subjected to has restored its splendor. The Carrara marble fountain located at its center and designed by Italian Giorgio Massari was even rebuilt.
 Edificio Gómez Vila, Cámara Oscura
Teniente Rey and Mercaderes Streets, Tel. 07 862 1801
It is the highest building around the square and on the top floor is located the Cámara Oscura. Based on an optical effect, it allows the reflection of 360° images on a white concave screen located in a completely dark room. As twin of the Torre de Avira in Cadiz, is the first of its kind in America.
 Planetario de La Habana
309 Mercaderes between Teniente Rey and Muralla streets,
Tel. 07 864 9544
It has a projector of 6,500 stars located inside the Space Theater, an enormous sphere that represents the sun with a 65-seat capacity and located at the center of a scale model of the solar system. The modern equipment donated by the Government of Japan, is complemented by several halls that illustrate the emergence and evolution of the universe.
Casa del Conde de Lombillo, Factoría Plaza Vieja and Casa de la Malta
San Ignacio No. 364, entre Teniente Rey and Muralla streets,
Tel. 07 866 4453
It is a popular craft beer and malts brewery, which offers services such as bar-restaurant. The setting allows you to enjoy the views of the square while listening to Cuban music.
Calle Oficios
Cuervo y Sobrinos Watch Museum-Shop
Oficios and Muralla streets,
Tel. 07 864 9515
Premises used as a shop and a museum of luxury watches and fountain pens manufactured by the Swiss-Italian company Cuervo y Sobrinos, settled in Cuba since 1882. It also has a small cafe of classic style.
Museo Palacio de Gobierno
211 Oficios and Muralla streets,
Tel. 07 863 4358
It is a classic nineteenth-century building that headquartered the seat of the House of Representatives. Later it was used as the headquarters of the Ministry of Education between 1929 and 1960, and after the Triumph of the Revolution it was the seat of the municipal government offices. At present, it is a museum that keeps interesting collections related to its previous uses, as well as the former President of the Senate´s office with its original furniture.
Museo Coche Presidencial
Oficios and Churruca streets
A railroad car that served as presidential car for five presidents of the Republic, starting with Tomás Estrada Palma in 1902. Located on rails in the middle of the entrance of the small alley of Churruca, it shows the visitors the luxury and comfort with which the Presidents used to travel by train.
 Plaza de San Francisco
It is now known as “Plaza de las Palomas” (The Pigeons Square.) During the sixteenth century, the area was part of the coastline. It played an important role in the development of trade as the main area of ​​unloading and loading of goods, as well as for the resupply of merchant ships.
It was named after a small Franciscan convent located in the area, which, as time passed by, evolved into the majestic building at present. Around the square, docks, archives of scribes, residences of notable neighbors, governmental institutions, as well as the town hall and the Government building and the prison began to grow that stayed there until 1792. That year, they were transferred to the Plaza de Armas.
Fuente de los Leones
Located on one side of the square, it was definitely settled in that place in 1836. Designed and made by Italian sculptor Giuseppe Gaggini, it was carved in white Carrara marble with classic style.
 Lonja del Comercio
2 Amargura and Oficios streets,
Tel 07 866 9588
The five-storey classic-style building dates back to 1907, and was built as a modern business center which since its founding has headquartered important companies and offices. It is topped by an imposing dome on whose top was placed a statue of Mercury, the Roman god of commerce, messengers and thieves.
 Iglesia Convento de San Francisco de Asís, Museo de Arte Sacro.
Oficios between Amargura and Teniente Rey streets,
Tel. 07 862 9683
Its construction began in 1719 and was finished in 1730. In Baroque style, it has a 40 m high bellfry that was, for a long time, the highest point of the city. Eventually, it was consecrated as the main church of the city from where the procession of the Way of the Cross used to depart every Friday.
Its large central nave currently houses one of the most important concert halls in the city and El Museo de Arte Sacro, unique of its kind in the country. It exhibits costumes, altarpieces, vases and chalices, belonging to some of the first churches of the town, as well as displaying the burials of illustrious figures of the city through skylights located on the ground.
From the tower you can see an interesting view of the city. Just before the main gate of San Francisco was placed a life-size statue of the Caballero de Paris, made by José Villa Soberón: The Caballero de Paris was an enigmatic street personage who became a symbol of the city. Beliefs have spread that touching its index finger brings good luck.
Madre Teresa de Calcuta (Saint Teresa of Calcutta) Garden
Located on the north side of the basilica, it was dedicated to Mother Teresa. At this peaceful site lie the remains of important personalities of Cuban culture. On its premises there is also a small Greek Orthodox Church opened in 2004.
 Plaza del Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje
Located in the center of Teniente Rey, Bernaza, Lamparilla and Villegas streets.
It was founded in 1640, on one side of the hermitage of the same name, also called the “Humilladero,” as it was the final station of the procession of the Way of the Cross. After functioning for some time as market place, in the 19th century it took the name of Parque Michelena, until the twentieth century.
In the 80’s of last century, some restoration work was done in its vicinities, but it was not until very recent dates that its surroundings were completely restored.
 Iglesia del Santo Cristo
del Buen Viaje
Villegas between Amargura and Lamparilla streets,
Tel. 07 863 1767
The current building dates from 1732, although its original settlement was in 1640 with the foundation of a hermitage in this place by the Franciscans. It took its name after the custom of sailors to go there to pray for having good trips.
 Droguería Sarrá: Museo de la Farmacia Habanera (Museum of Havana Pharmacy)
Teniente Rey between Compostela and Habana streets,
Tel 07 866 7554
It is an old pharmacy that still keeps its functions. It exhibits numerous collections of equipment of this type of businesses, as well as some medicines and conserved old herbs. Along with Farmacia Droguería Taquechel (155 Obispo between Mercaderes and San Ignacio streets, Tel 07 862 9286), and Droguería  Johnson (361 Obispo, Tel 07 862 3057), they three make up Havana´s Museo de la Farmacia,  an interesting group that allows us to learn about the Cuban pharmaceutical industry since colonial times.
Egido Street
Parque del Agrimensor
Zulueta between Misión and Arsenal streets
Located across the side entrance of the Central Railway Station, it houses the monument to the surveyors, as well as an important sample of old locomotives used in the sugar industry during past centuries.
El Arsenal y la Puerta de la Tenaza
Egido between Misión and Fundición streets
Preserved remains of the old arsenal of the Muralla de la Habana (Walls of Havana.) La Puerta de la Tenaza is the only gate that remains standing out of the nine that the walls used to have. An inscription, placed on one side of the wall that supports it, shows a map of the ancient walled city.
 Museo Casa Natal
de José Martí
314 Leonor Pérez and Egido streets, Tel. 07 861 3778
A museum dedicated to the figure of José Martí, it treasures important objects belonging to Cuba´s National Hero and his family. It is a cultural center because in its spacious side yard multiple community-oriented cultural activities take place.
Avenida del Puerto
 Almacenes de San José Cultural Center
Desamparados and San Ignacio streets, Tel. 07 864 7793
As the largest arts, crafts and antiques market in the city, it occupies a complex of enormous premises formerly belonging to the port facilities, which after a rigorous repair now provide a pleasant space facing the sea. The visitor has the chance to see some old locomotives at its entrance.
San Francisco de Paula church
San Ignacio and Leonor Pérez streets, Tel. 07 860 4210
Located at the southern end of the Alameda de Paula, it was recently restored and turned into a wonderful concert hall. It is the headquarters of the Ars Longa Ancient Music Ensemble and one of the city’s main concert halls.
 Alameda de Paula
It is the first avenue built in the city and runs parallel to the coast from Luz street to Leonor Pérez street. Now turned into a beautiful promenade, it is illuminated by elaborate iron lampposts and delimited by low and trellised stone walls that isolate it from traffic. At its center is the Columna de O´Donnell erected in 1847 by Captain General (governor) Leopoldo O’Donnell, in honor to the Spanish navy: a marble monument, topped by the effigy of a lion, which is ornamented with military motifs and has a fountain at its base.
Sagrada Catedral Ortodoxa Rusa
Ave. del Puerto and San Pedro streets
Officially known as Iglesia de la Virgen María de Kazán, it was inaugurated in 2008. Characterized by the golden domes in the form of bulbs that crown their towers, it has magnificent altars in its interior that are attractive due to their peculiar Byzantine ornamentation.
 Museo del Ron Havana Club
Ave. del Puerto between Sol y Muralla streets, Tel. 07 861 8051
Located in the former home of the Conde de la Mortera, it offers an interesting tour on the development of the Cuban rum industry. It exhibits an impressive model of a sugar factory as well as utensils and tools of the Industry. It has 5 specialized rooms as well as a shop and a bar where you can taste typical cocktails of the Island.
Zulueta street (Agramonte) and Monserrate street (Avenida de las Misiones)
Park and Monument to General Máximo Gómez
Sculpted in marble and bronze by sculptor Aldo Gamba in 1935, it is an equestrian statue of Generalissimo Máximo Gómez, a hero of Cuba’s independence.
Callejón de los Peluqueros
Aguiar between Peña Pobre and Capdevila streets
In 2012 it was turned into the “Callejón de los Peluqueros,” the headquarters of the “Arte Corte” Community Project. Inspired and developed by Gilberto Valladares (Papito), it is a beautiful urban space where cafés, small restaurants, schools and museums sprout all around.
 Plazuela del Ángel and Iglesia del Santo Ángel Custodio
Cuarteles and Compostela streets
It is a located on the Loma del Ángel and a well-known site of the city for being the area in which the homonymous church immortalized by Cirilo Villaverde in its novel “Cecilia Valdés” is located, and also for being the church of baptism of José Marti. A picturesque city space characterized by the cafés that border its streets and the history that it has, it has a bust of writer Cirilo Villaverde and serves as an anteroom for the neo-Gothic church that presides over it.
Baluarte del Ángel
Refugio, between Zulueta and Monserrate streets
Erected as part of the city walls in 1680, it was one of the remains that survived their subsequent demolition.
 Palacio Presidencial, Museo de la Revolución
1 Refugio between Zulueta and Monserrate streets, Tel. 07 862 4091
It is a building completed in 1920 in an eclectic style and whose inside was set by the American firm Tiffany’s. It has impressive and luxurious rooms typical of the residence of the presidents of the Republic. At present, it houses the Museum of the Revolution and it exhibits in its rooms an ample collection that illustrates the last stage of the wars for the independence of Cuba.
 Memorial Granma
1 Refugio between Zulueta and Monserrate streets
Located at the back of the Museo de la Revolución, it preserves among its main pieces the Granma Yacht, the ship in which the young people who began the revolutionary struggle in 1957 sailed to Cuba from Mexico. Likewise, it exhibits vehicles and airplanes used in different actions of the clandestine struggle in the cities.
 Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Edificio de Arte Cubano) (National Museum of Fine Arts, Cuban Art Building)
Trocadero between Zulueta and Monserrate streets, Tel. 07 863 9484
It is a modern building ornamented with sculptures by Cuban artist Rita Longa that exhibits a complete spectrum of Cuban fine arts through its numerous permanent and transitory exhibitions. These exhibitions display works from the earliest days of the colonial times and the foundation of the Cuban Academy down to Contemporaneity. Among their main pieces are “Gitana Tropical” by Cuban painter Víctor Manuel and “La Silla” by the world-famous Wilfredo Lam.
 Edificio Bacardí
261 Monserrate between Empedrado and San Juan de Dios streets
As the former headquarters of Bacardi rum brand, it is considered a jewel of Cuban art deco. Its construction was finished in December, 1929 and at that time it was described as one of the most modern and beautiful buildings of the city. Its façade worked in red granite of Bavaria with floral motifs and Greek nymphs, is topped by a stepped turret that has in its cusp a bat on a red luminous sphere, the symbol of Bacardí brand. At present, the building houses several offices belonging to Cuban and foreign companies.
 The Floridita
Monserrate and Obispo streets
A famous restaurant bar, perhaps the oldest in the world, which was founded in 1817 with the name of La Piña de Plata, is known worldwide for being the cradle of the Daiquirí, the favorite drink for the American writer Ernest Hemingway, a regular of this bar. It currently maintains its functions and exhibits a statue of Hemingway at the corner of the bar sitting on the same seat he used to sit on.
 Teatro Martí
Dragons and Zulueta streets
Known as the “Teatro de las Mil Puertas” (“The Thousand-door Theater,” it was recently reopened after long years of reconstruction. Known for having staged important artistic presentations, its remarkable historical value make it a fundamental site for the history of Cuba, since in its halls the constitution of the Republic was signed in 1901.
Paseo del Prado
(Paseo de Martí)
  Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta
Prado and Malecón streets
Built by architect Juan Bautista Antonelli around 1593, as part of the city’s first defensive system, it keeps, since 2002 and in its old warehouse, the pieces of underwater archeology found north of the provinces of Pinar del Rio and La Habana. During some time, it was a museum, but after the passage of Hurricane Wilma it underwent a rigorous restoration in order to turn it into an archaeological museum.
Paseo del Prado
It runs from Malecón to Monte streets
Its construction was initiated by the Marqués de la Torre in 1772 and finished in 1852. From its beginnings, it displaced other avenues of the city as the hub of social life. Around it, the houses of the most notable people of the city assembled. It has 1 km of length and its sections are guarded by eight statues of lions made of bronze.
In 1929 it took its current physiognomy after a remodeling that provided height to the central walk, which was illuminated with elaborate lampposts and adorned with benches of stone and granite floors. At its northern end is a statue of Cuban poet and patriot Juan Clemente Zenea.
Hotel Sevilla
55 Trocadero between Prado and Monserrate streets
It is a building inspired by the Patio de los Leones of the Palacio de la Alhambra in Spain. The hotel opened its doors in 1908 and has maintained its service uninterruptedly, hosting some of the most important figures that have visited the island. Its gallery shows a collection of black and white photographs of its most distinguished guests among which are Josephine Baker, boxer Joe Louis and Al Capone, who stayed on the sixth floor.
 Parque Central
Surrounded by Zulueta, Prado, Neptuno and San Martín streets
It is a spacious park that became the epicenter of life among the oldest municipalities of the city. It is also the meeting place for baseball fans. Its fountains and lighting system have been recently restored. From its vegetation, royal palm trees stand out bordering the statue of José Martí that was placed at its center in 1905, the work of sculptor José Vilalta.
 Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. Edificio de Arte Universal (National Museum of Fine Arts, Universal Art Building)
San Rafael between Zulueta and Monserrate streets,
Tel. 07 862 0140
It occupies the building of the old Centro Asturiano de La Habana. The building, decorated with neoclassical motifs, was erected in 1885 and rebuilt in Renaissance style in 1927. It has important collections of Egyptian, Greek and Roman art, as well as collections of plastic arts from different parts of the world, including the great masters of painting such as Velásquez, Goya and Murillo.
 Gran Teatro Alicia Alonso
452 Prado between San Rafael and San Martin streets,
Tel. 07 861 3079
It was originally built in 1837 as Teatro Tacón and featured great artists from the world scene as Enrico Caruso and Sarah Benhardt. The present neo-baroque building dates from 1915 when it headquartered the Centro Gallego. Today it is home to the National Ballet of Cuba, and the performances of the National Lyric Theater. It was renamed as “Gran Teatro Alicia Alonso.”
 Capitolio Nacional
Prado between San Martín and Dragones streets,
Tel. 07 861 5519
It was built between 1926 and 1929 as the seat of the House of Representatives and the Senate. This majestic building is topped by a 91.73 m high dome that holds beneath the statue of La República, the third largest indoor statue in the world, sculpted in bronze and covered with gold foils by Angelo Zanelli, also the author of the sculptures located on the outside, El Trabajo and La Virtud Tutelar del Pueblo.
At the foot of the statue of the Republic is located a diamond of 24 carats that belonged to the crown of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and that indicates km 0 of the central road of the Island. Marked by the beauty and monumentality of the Capitolio stands out the Salón de los Pasos Perdidos, thus named due to its impressive acoustics. At present, it houses the seat of the National Assembly of the People´s Power in one of its restored wings.
 Fuente de la India o de la Noble Habana
Prado and Dragones streets
It represents the mythical figure of the Indian girl Habana, Cacique Habaguanex´s wife. This cacique ruled the area before the arrival of Columbus. Designed and sculpted in 1837 by Italian architect Giuseppe Gaggini and commissioned by Conde de Villanueva, it was built in white marble of Carrara in neoclassical style with three meters of height. In his right hand, it holds a horn of plenty and on the left the coat of arms of the city.
 Parque de la Fraternidad
Monte, Reina, Amistad and Prado streets
It was located in its current site in 1892, occupying the grounds of the old Campo de Marte, to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. Its present aspect dates from 1928 from the times of the renovation carried out by Jean Claude Nicolas Forestier.
At its center was planted on February 24, 1928 the Árbol de la Fraternidad Americana, a ceiba tree, for which purpose soil was brought from all the countries of America. Busts and statues of the heroes of American independence circle the park.
 Fábrica de Tabaco Partagás
520 Industria between Dragones and Barcelona streets,
Tel 07 866 8060
Opened in 1843 by Catalan immigrant Don Jaime Partagás Ravelo, the building of a classic Spanish style is marked by the legend that its owner still wanders along its halls. The factory specializes in the production of some brands of the world-known Habanos such as Montecristo and Partagás. You may now tour it assisted by a guide and may also visit its Casa del Habano to purchase or enjoy the best cigars in the world at its own home.
The Malecón
An inevitable concrete “stripe” known as “Havana´s Couch,” it was designed in 1857 by Francisco de Albear, but it was not until 1902 that its construction began. It was the old site of sea baths of ​Havana´s coastline that ran, in a first stage, from La Punta up to the San Lázaro area. It has become a sample of the microcosm of the city. Occasional fishermen, street musicians and street vendors are a common sight at all times.
Parque Antonio Maceo
It is a beautiful monument park built in 1916 in honor of Major General Antonio Maceo Grajales, hero of the independence of Cuba. Today it is a busy place frequented by visitors for rest and relaxation, as well as skating, capoeira and skateboarding.
Torreón de San Lázaro
Despite its modern appearance, its construction dates back to 1665, as part of the city’s second defensive system. At present, it is part of the System of Fortifications declared by UNESCO as Heritage of Humanity.
Callejón de Hamel
Callejón de Hamel between Aramburu and Hospital streets
It is an alley turned into a symbol of the locality due to its allegories to the afrocuban religion and the orishas. It displays beautiful murals made by artist Salvador González who, inspired by this culture, has created together with the members of the community a space conducive to the dissemination of art and popular culture. If you want to enjoy a genuine drumming and a real rumba, this is the place to learn about and have a live first-hand experience with this manifestation declared by UNESCO World Heritage in 2016.
Paseo de Carlos III (Avenida Salvador Allende)
It extends from Belascoaín street to Ave. de Boyeros
It was the third walk built during colonial times that linked the growing city with the new residential neighborhoods and the houses of downtown Havana and El Vedado. Currently, at the entrance you can see the two columns that bordered its entrance and the pedestal of the statue of King Carlos III.
Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón
de Jesús
Reina between Padre Varela y Gervasio streets, Tel. 07 862 4979
A building of Gothic inspiration built in 1922, it has Gothic, Romanesque and eclectic elements. Their walls are adorned with gargoyles and griffins of hideous appearance, as well as allegories to the Christian faith and a huge statue of Jesus presiding over its façade.
El Vedado
Known as the modern heart of the city, its development began in the 50’s of the nineteenth century with the construction of houses on the streets of Línea, Calzada and in the continuation of Infanta street. Nowadays it is the key center of the city and the site of most of the places of interest for tourists located downtown.
The Malecón in El Vedado
Bordering the coast of Havana from the junction of Infanta and 23rd streets, just at the end of La Rampa, is the starting point of the Malecón in El Vedado, which ends at the Torreón de Santa Dorotea de la Chorrera (Malecón and 20th street): a small tower built in 1762 to protect the mouth of the Almendares river, which today is a small restaurant.
 Hotel Nacional de Cuba
O and 21st streets, Tel. 07 836 3564
Inaugurated on December 30, 1930, it has a careful eclectic style. Since its foundation, it has been the flagship hotel of Cuba and the setting for innumerable events and site of preference of many of the famous of the world-wide scene. Its history is also linked to the Mafia and its times of greatest influence in the Island. Proclaimed National monument in 1998, it is located in the coastal outpost of Punta Brava. It occupies the site where in the 18th century the Batería de Santa Clara pertaining to the Defensive System of the city was set up. The perfect place to taste an excellent Habano or a refreshing Mojito, is one of the favorite places for tourism in Havana, which is why it was declared by the World Travel Group as the Leading Hotel of Cuban tourism since 2009.
 Cabaret Parisién
O and 21st streets, Tel. 07 836 3564
Located inside the Hotel Nacional, it is one of the emblematic places of Havana´s nightlife. It puts on a spectacular Cuban show marked by good music, singing and dancing performed by important cabaret figures in Cuba. Its stage offers every night a display of talent and creativity designed for the enjoyment at one of the best and most emblematic cabarets in Cuba.
La Rampa
From Malecón to L streets
Along its route, there are many buildings of offices and ministries, besides night clubs like La Zorra y el Cuervo, specialized in jazz shows; the Pabellón Cuba, headquarters of the Asociación Hermanos Sainz and one of the main exhibition centers located in the center of the city.
At the end of La Rampa, on the way coming from the sea, is the Cine Yara one of the main centers of the New Latin American Cinema Festival and an important exhibition hall of the Cuban film cartel; across 23rd street is one of the symbols of the city,  the Hotel Habana Trip Libre (Tel. 07 834 61 00) home of Cabaret Turquino, unique of its kind in the city that stands out for its breathtaking views and its sliding roof that allows to enjoy open air shows at one of the highest points of Havana.
 Universidad de La Habana
L and San Lázaro streets,
Tel. 07 878 ​​3231
Initially located in Edificio Santo Domingo, in 1902 it was transferred to the Colina de Aróstegui, also well-known as Loma de la Pirotecnia of the Spanish army. On L street is the majestic staircase, the scene of protests, political ceremonies and youth demonstrations since its early days. Crowned by the statue of the Alma Mater, which was the work of sculptor Mario Korbel and finished in 1919, it is the symbol of this university that receives and dismisses its students on the top of La Colina.
In the center of the University Campus is the Plaza Ignacio Agramonte, widely known as “Plaza Cadenas.” Buildings of classic style surround the square among which stand out the Facultad de Matemática that has inside the Patio de los Laureles, one of the sites best known for its symbolism and allegory to triumph.
Perhaps the most impressive building on the Colina is the Aula Magna (the main lecture hall), a place of great events and richly ornamented with marble panels and paintings by Armando Menocal. As home for Father Varela´s mortal remains, it has great historical importance in the revolutionary struggle.
 Museo Napoleónico
1159 San Miguel between Ronda and Masón streets,Tel. 07 879 1460
Pertaining to the City´s Historian Office, it shows one of the most complete collections on the life of Napoleon Bonaparte conserved outside Europe. It has more than 7,000 pieces treasured in a mansion of Florentine Renaissance style named “The Dolce Dimora,” belonging to Orestes Ferrara who was ambassador of Cuba to France. Ferrara returned to the Island carrying a considerable amount of objects belonging to Bonaparte, like a plaster funerary mask that was made two days after his death, his pocket watch, a toothbrush, a molar, a lock of hair and the pistol he used at the Battle of Borodino. The rest of the original pieces and reproductions come from Julio Lobo´s personal collection, an important Cuban sugar tycoon.
Calle 17
 Museo de Artes Decorativas
464 17th and E streets,
Tel. 07 832 0924
It is an old house that belonged to Havana´s aristocracy, which treasures one of the most important collections of decorative arts from Asia and Europe of the 18th,, 19th and 20th centuries kept in Cuba. The majesty of its architecture, combined with the exquisite curatorship of its rooms and collections, make it a museological referent. Among its most valuable works are those of French manufacture such as Sèvres, Paris, Chantilly and Limoges, and of the English Derby, Chelsea, Wedwood, Worcester and Staffordshire.
 Parque John Lennon (John Lennon Park)
The block within 17th, 15th, 6th and 8th streets
Reopened in 2000, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the assassination of British musician John Lennon, a life-size statue of the artist was placed: the work of the Cuban sculptor José Villa Soberón. Sitting on a bench with his head tilted and legs crossed in thoughtful pose, Lennon welcomes visitors with the inscription “People say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one…”
Avenida de los Presidentes (G Street)
It runs from Malecón to Avenida Carlos III. It takes its name from the large number of monuments, sited throughout its different sections, erected in honor of several presidents of Cuba and Latin America. It is famous for being the meeting point of the urban tribes that have occupied numerous sections of the walk in an almost official way.
 Quinta de los Molinos
Ave. Carlos III and Infanta streets, Tel. 07 879 8850
Erected between 1837 and 1840 as a playground for the General Captains. It took its name from two tobacco mills located in this area between 1800 and 1835. In 1899 it was designated as the official residence of Major General Máximo Gómez, and later turned into Museo Máximo Gómez.
At present, restored by the City´s Historian Office, the Quinta de los Molinos complex has resumed its previous functions as the first Jardín Botánico de La Habana (Havana´s Botanical Garden.) Today it displays impressive collections of endemic and exotic flora and fauna, which can only be seen in its 4.8 hectares of extension. It also has a bonsai garden and the first Mariposario (Butterfly Garden) of Cuba.
 Monumento a José Miguel Gómez
Ave. de los Presidentes and 29th street
It is the first of a series of monuments: a majestic colonnade erected in honor of José Miguel Gómez, the second president of the Republic. Designed by Italian sculptor Giovanni Nicolini, it was made in 1936. With a classic style, it is considered one of the most beautiful sculptural ensembles in the city.
 Necrópolis Cristóbal Colón
Zapata and 12th streets,
Tel. 07 830 4517
Built between 1871 and 1886, it has transcended its necrological functions to become the largest open-air museum in the city. Declared as National Monument in 1987, thousands of visitors come here every day. With 57 hectares of extension, it has more than 500 funerary monuments among which are mausoleums, chapels, tombs and galleries.
It is considered the largest cemetery in America. Divided into 16 blocks like a Roman military camp, it has well-defined areas that mark the social origin of its occupants. The highlights are its central avenue, Ave. Cristóbal Colón, the Mausoleo a los 8 Estudiantes de Medicina (Mausoleum to the eight medical students), the Monumento a los Bomberos (Monument to the Firemen) and the Panteón de la Familia Baró (Baro family´s pantheon); the latter stands out for its Art Deco style and for the legend of love its occupants are cloaked in.
Puerta de la Paz
 It is the main entrance of the necropolis and the work of Spanish architect Calixto de Loira, while the reliefs made in Carrara marble that represent the resurrection of Lazarus and the crucifixion of Christ were made by Cuban sculptor José Vilalta. La Puerta de la Paz is crowned by a wonderful representation of the theological virtues: Faith, Hope and Charity, under which the Latin inscription JANUA SUM PACIS may be read.
La Milagrosa
3rd and F streets (inside the cemetery)
The most famous tomb of the cemetery, belonging to Amelia Goyri de Hoz, who after his death in 1901 was known as “La Milagrosa.” According to legend, she died during childbirth. She was buried with the creature between her feet, and years later, when her sarcophagus was opened, she had the remains of the creature in her arms. Since then, it has become a place of worship for many women without children who pray and take offerings to ask to become mothers.
 Plaza de la Revolución
Ave. Independencia and 20 de Mayo street.
It is the largest square in the city and perhaps one of the best known sites due to its political connotation in the last 55 years of Cuba’s history. The idea of ​​the construction of the square arose in the 40s of last century and was initially known as “Plaza Cívica” located at Loma de los Catalanes. Its construction was completed after the Triumph of the Revolution.
Presided over by a gigantic statue of Jose Marti, it is the highest point of the Capital, with a total height of 144.99 m from the base to the top. The tower has an impressive viewpoint that allows appreciating the city in its entire splendor.
Memorial José Martí
Telf. 07 859 2347
The José Martí Memorial, a historical cultural center inaugurated on January 27, 1996, houses the most complete collection of the life and work of Cuba´s National Hero, as well as other objects related to national history.
 Teatro Nacional de Cuba
Zapata and 39th, Plaza de la Revolución, Telf. 07 878 0771
It has two large rooms dedicated to the memory of Francisco Covarrubias, the founder of Cuban theater and another one dedicated to Gertrudis Gómez de Avellaneda, an outstanding figure of Cuban romanticism. Important Cuban artists left their work in this large complex that also hosts the Café Cantante “Mi Habana” and Piano Bar “Delirio Habanero,” both important centers of Havana´s night life.
Playa and Miramar
5ta Avenida
One of the most beautiful thoroughfares of the capital, it runs from the exit of the Malecón tunnel through more than 8 km in Miramar district. Also known as the “Embassies Street,” it is flanked from the beginning to the end by Cuban and foreign companies, embassies and some residences.
 Casa de las Tejas Verdes
 315 2nd street and 5th Ave.,
Tel. 07 212 5282
Built in 1926, it stands out for its unique architecture and the color of its roof tiles, unique of its kind in the city. According to legend, it was built by an important personage of the political scene of the Island for his lover, while the color of the house alluded to the eyes of the lady. Currently turned by the City´s Historian Office into a center for the interpretation of design and modern art, it offers guided tours as well as other activities related to its branch of studies.
Miramar Trade Center
5th Ave.  between 74th and 78th streets
Comprised of six magnificent buildings, it is the hub of business on the island. It is the headquarters of numerous foreign companies. It also hosts several airline commercial offices and major international offices such as the Japanese Embassy.
Basilica Jesus de Miramar
8003 5th Ave. between 80th and 82th streets, Tel 07 203 5301
Built in 1953, it is the largest church on the island. Built in Byzantine style, it has gigantic proportions and its organ has 5,000 pipes. The paintings that illustrate the 14 stations of the cross are impressive due to their dimensions and magnificent pictorial style.
Club Habana
5th Ave. between 188th and 214th streets, Tel. 07 275 0100
It is an exclusive club that offers its visitors the comfort and conditions to do various activities such as water sports, the use of its swimming pools and its beach, as well as the enjoyment of its exclusive restaurants and golf course.
Kcho Studio Romerillo
7th and 120th street, Romerillo,
Tel. 07 208 4750
Opened in February 2014 by the renowned artist Alexis Leyva Machado (Kcho), it is an interesting complex dedicated to contemporary creation. It has a library, a theater, experimental art gallery shops and galleries that showcase the work of contemporary artists from all over the world. As the headquarters of a foundation funded entirely by Kcho, it includes a community project for local people.
Casa Estudio José Fuster
226th street and 3rd Ave., Jaimanitas, Tel. 07 271 2932
Built and developed by world-famous painter and ceramist José Fuster, it is known as a large open-air gallery that shows impressive naif-style installations. An interesting concrete door covered with pieces of ceramics, following the trencadis technique, leads to a surrealist world founded by Fuster in the backyard of his house, which transcends its limits to reach the community. Among the constructions in the patio, the Torre del Gallo stands out: a singular composition of 4 m of height that shows one of the symbols of Cubanidad.
Marina Internacional
Ernest Hemingway 
5th Ave. and 248th street, Santa Fe, Tel. 07 204 1150
Built between 1956 and 1957, it covers about 60 000 square meters gained at the expense of the sea by drilling 4 channels of navigation. The facility is designed for the development of hotel activities and offers services for sports and recreational boats. It is the flagship center of the nautical activities in the Island and has a capacity to assimilate up to 400 boats, offering the modality of life services on board. It is the setting for the internationally known Torneo Internacional de Pesca de la Aguja Ernest Hemingway and international yacht races.
“El Laguito” Tobacco Factory
2302 146th Ave. between 21st and 21 A streets, Cubanacán
Tel. 07 208 4654
Housed in an impressive mansion built in 1910 by Marqués de Pinar del Río, it was remodeled in 1930 in Art Deco style, with the addition of the floral motifs that adorn its stained glass windows and an ornate spiral staircase. Nowadays, it has become one of the most exclusive tobacco factories on the island. It manufactures Montecristo brands and it is the factory where Cohiba Habanos are exclusively manufactured.
Palacio de Convenciones
146th street between 11th and 13th, Cubanacán, Tel. 07 202 6011
Established in 1979 on the occasion of the Summit Conference of Non-Aligned Countries, it was for some time the seat of the National Assembly of the People’s Power and later became one of the most important exhibition and conference centers in the country. In its exhibition halls was born Havana´s Fair, which has subsequently grown larger and thus had other venues. Currently, it maintains the main convention center of the country.
PABEXPO
17th ave. and 180th street, Cubanacán, Tel. 07 271 6775
Created as an extension of the fairground of the Convention Center, it has six air-conditioned exhibition halls that host dozens of fairs such as FIART and FIHAV every year. Conceived as a modern venue, it offers excellent conditions for business and commercial exchange.
 Tropicana
72nd street between 41st and 45th  streets, Marianao,
Tel. 07 207 0110
A famous Cuban cabaret built in 1939, world-renowned (for its Arcos de Cristal open air hall) as the “Paradise Under the Stars,” it retains the most genuine manifestations of the purely Cuban cabaret shows. At the entrance, and as a symbol, it has the sculpture of a dancer made by Cuban sculptor Rita Longa in 1950. A stage where artists such as Nat King Cole, Josephine Baker, Bola de Nieve and Rita Montaner performed, it is considered the best Cabaret of the Americas.
Santuario Nacional
de San Lázaro
San Antonio de los Baños road, km 23, Santiago de las Vegas,
Tel 047 683 2396
Every December 17, believers and devotees of San Lázaro pilgrimage to his sanctuary with extravagant displays of faith. Known as “El Rincón,” it can be considered the second center of pilgrimage of the country. Every day at its entrance, dozens of people gather and take vows of poverty or simply go there in search of charity.
EXPOCUBA
Carretera del Rocío, km 3,5, Arroyo Naranjo, Tel. 07 697 4269
It is the country’s largest trade fair that permanently exhibits samples of the island’s scientific, cultural, sporting and social development in its pavilions. It is the official venue of the Havana´s International Fair and other international events. It has an amusement park and numerous restaurants and cafes.
Ernest Hemingway Museum, Finca Vigía
Calle Vigía and Steinhart, Finca Vigía, San Francisco de Paula,
Tel. 07 691 0809
It was the residence of the famous American writer Ernest Hemingway, from 1940 to 1960. It was turned into a museum on July 21, 1962 and is considered as the first institution created in the world for the conservation and dissemination of the life and work of this genius of universal literature. As a sort of small ecological reserve, the house is preserved with its original objects and Hemingway´s trophies, as well as the boat El Pilar. Visiting it is like walking from the hand of “Papa” through every moment of his life at this place.
On the other side of the bay
Tunnel of the Bay
It runs along 733 m below the Havana Bay with a depth of 14 m. It is featured among the 7 wonders of Cuban Civil Engineering. It was built by the French company Societè de Grand Travaux de Marseille, which was in charge of the construction of the tunnels of 5th Avenue and Línea, between 1957 and 1958. It was completed on May 31, 1958.
Parque Histórico Militar Morro-Cabaña
Carretera de la Cabaña, Habana del este, Tel 07 866 2808
It comprises the fortresses of Morro and Cabaña, forming the most effective and powerful defensive complex built by the Spaniards in America.
 Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro
Tel. 07 863 7941
Built on the rocky hill of Punta Barlovento at the entrance of the Bay Canal, it was designed by Italian engineer Bautista Antonelli. Its construction began in 1589 and was finished 40 years later. In 1844, they added the beacon that it has today as a symbol of the city. It has an irregular polygon shape that follows the contour of the coast with impregnable strongholds and batteries that served as defense against the attacks of corsairs and pirates. Among the main elements of interest of the fort are the Túnel del Aspillerado that serves as the entrance to the premises; the 25 m high lighthouse that flashes twice at the entrance of the Bay every 15 seconds; and the Batería de los 12 Apóstoles with several guns that today features the Restaurante los 12 Apóstoles.
 Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña
Tel. 07 8624095
Located half a mile from the Morro, it has an excellent strategic position on the Bay and the city. It is the largest fort built by the Spaniards in America. Its construction was carried out between 1763 and 1774. It had 120 guns and mortars besides a permanent garrison of 1,300 men. An impregnable fortress with moats 12 meters deep, it has, among some of its main attractions, the Ceremonia del Cañonazo: a representation that recalls the announcement of the closing of the gates of the city´s walls at 9:00 pm, with a military deployment set as in colonial times; the Museo de Armas y Fortificaciones that shows collections of armaments and military instruments that range from ancient catapults to armor, swords, spears, daggers and shields belonging to different cultures around the world. In the outside of the fortress is located the former Batería de la Divina Pastora of the same name.
 El Cristo de La Habana
Carretera del Asilo, Casablanca
It is a gigantic 15 m high statue representing “Christ, the Redeemer.” Made in Carrara marble by Cuban sculptor Gilma Madera, it was inaugurated on December 25, 1958. At the base of the sculpture there is a viewpoint that allows appreciating breathtaking views of the bay and the city.
Cojímar
Located at the mouth of Cojímar river, its date of foundation is assumed to be July 15, 1649. This small fishing village arose around the tower placed by the Spaniards at the entrance of its bay as part of the defensive system of the city. With a natural architectural set and representative of the way of life of the fishermen, here Hemingway acquired his fondness for fishing.
Its history, linked to Hemingway’s stay in Cuba, is marked by unique sites such as La Terraza restaurant (Calle 152 No. 161 and Candelaria street/ Tel. 07 766 5151), a place preferred by the American writer to rest at after a fishing day; the El Torreón recently restored and turned into a museum; and the Monumento a Ernest Hemingway, made with the bronze pieces that each one of the fishermen donated from their boats.
Playas del Este
Havana has beautiful beaches located in the municipality of Habana del Este, which are important areas for sun and beach tourism. On the road from Havana, the first one is the small beach of Bacuranao, followed by Tarará, Mégano, Mar Azul, Santa Maria del Mar, Boca Ciega and Guanabo. Just 20 minutes from the city center, these beaches cover a coastline of almost 50 km of fine sand, with tourist facilities of all kinds for the enjoyment of tourism.